Hello all! I don’t often do savoury side dishes, because I prefer large meals to smaller meals with a side. But when I heard how easy it would be to make one of my favourite savoury side dishes I decided to give it a go!
Polenta chips are one of those things that I can’t often go past. I love their crunchiness, their flavour, their texture, and how perfect they are when dipped in aioli! But I’d never thought about making them at home, as we didn’t often have polenta in the house. So when we did make a shift to using polenta, I knew it was time to strike!
These chips are ridiculously easy to put together. It’s as simple as cooking the polenta, letting it set, then chopping them up into chips and letting them bake a bit more. It’s something you can definitely do in a day, but to make them even more convenient I do recommend cooking the polenta the day before and letting it set overnight. That way all you have to do is chop and bake! Easy!
These go great with some aioli, but also with tomato sauce or any of the other, regular dips. I like them as a side with things like beef casserole too. Yum!
Serves: 3-4, Prep: 30-35 mins, plus chilling time, Cook: 25-30 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups chicken stock, gluten free
- A pinch salt
- 1.5 cups polenta, gluten free (you may need to use quick cook)
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- Olive oil spray
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped, or dried
- Sea salt, for sprinkling
- Grease a 25cm x 16cm rectangular oven tray and line with baking paper.
- Put your polenta into a jug or cup for easy pouring later.
- Put the milk, stock and pinch of salt into a medium saucepan and heat until almost boiling.
- Pour the polenta into the hot milk/stock mixture in a steady stream while constantly whisking. This helps prevent any lumps from forming. Keep stirring until polenta is cooked and thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat, stir in the parmesan and then pour into the prepared baking tray. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours, or until set. I recommend doing it the night before.
- Preheat oven to 200°C, line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Turn the set polenta out onto a cutting board and cut into chip shapes.
- Place onto lined baking trays and spray with olive oil spray.
- Bake for 25–30 minutes, turning half way through.
- When they’re ready the edges will look crispy and charred, particularly around the edges. Sprinkle with rosemary and extra sea salt.
- Serve hot.