It’s been both hot, and stormy around here this past week. One moment the sun will be out, and the next it’ll be storming, raining, and filling the sky with thunder and lightning. But before the weather took a turn for the wetter, I did get a chance to put together a batch of mango macadamia ice-cream, which reminded me a lot of the Weiss Bars I used to eat sometimes as a special treat when I was little.
This is a thrown together recipe, able to be changed to suit each person’s particular tastes. Some people, for example, might not want to add cream to theirs. So that ingredient is optional. I’m a vanilla fiend, so I add vanilla to things that it doesn’t strictly need to be added to. So that’s also optional. I love mango flavour, so I added a full cup of frozen diced mango, and a little extra banana for firmness. But if you don’t need such strong flavours you can stick to one and a half frozen bananas, and a little less mango. So really, this is a recipe that can be changed as you like!
Making banana-based ice-cream is proving to be quite a good trend, and it’s made for some quick, easy, and healthy desserts around our house as well. Whenever we need a cool treat we know we can whip up a little something, so I always try to keep some frozen, sliced banana in the freezer!
Mango Macadamia Ice-cream
Serves: 3, Prep: 15-20 mins,
- Up to 1 cup frozen, diced mango
- 1.5-2 frozen bananas, sliced
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (Optional, but delicious)
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (Optional, you could also use thickened cream for non-dairy free version)
- 1/4 cup roasted, unsalted macadamias, plus extra for garnish
- Puree the frozen mango in a blender or food processor, along with the cream and vanilla.
- Add in the frozen banana, and continue to blend until well combined and smooth.
- Remove from the blender, stir through the macadamias, and split into three serving glasses. Top with some extra macadamias.
- Either eat straight away, for soft serve consistency, or freeze for up to 15 mins to get it a bit firmer.