That’s right, you heard me, a healthy ice-cream. But how could ice-cream be healthy! Well, as it turns out I am rather slow in noticing this trend to make ice-cream based on frozen bananas. I think we might have done it a long, long time ago as a snack. But I had never thought about making up a proper batch until I realised I had two old bananas, which would either needed to be used or frozen, and I had some leftover pistachios that would need eating soon too. It was then that I was struck with inspiration. I remembered having read about frozen banana ice-cream, and thought that this would be a much healthier version of a naughty treat – one that wouldn’t upset allergies, or my current health trip!
I chopped the banana up and put it into the freezer overnight, the next day I did some research on recipes. There were an immense amount of recipes out there, but ones which required adding sweeteners, etc. I didn’t believe that the ice-cream would need sweetening because these bananas had almost been overripe, and so were going to be quite sweet all by themselves. I stumbled across this recipe by A Whisk and Two Wands, and I knew this one was it.
Now, my food processor really is quite small and is more designed for chopping and grinding small amounts of things. It did struggle a bit with creaming the frozen banana, but once it got going I could see what the people on internet had been raving out. It was incredible, the banana becomes smooth and icy cold and creamy, exactly like soft serve! After that I added the pistachios, a splash of almond milk, and whipped it all together. I believe that a bigger processor or a blender would do an even better job than my little processor, but I am still incredibly sold on the final product. It was sweet and creamy and soft, and the pistachio flavour was undeniable.
A great way to get that ice-cream craving what it wants, without having to eat all the bad stuff! Happy FF!
A whisk and two wand’s
Pistachio Banana “Ice cream”
Serves: 1-2, Prep: overnight freezing of bananas, 10-15 mins prep, then chill time
- 1/4 cup raw, unsalted pistachio nuts
- 1 large, or two small, frozen bananas (works better if chopped and then frozen)
- 1-2 tbsp almond milk
- A handful of extra pistachios, either for topping or to stir through for extra texture (Optional)
- Pop your bananas into your blender/food processor, and whiz until nice and creamy and smooth.
- Add the pistachios, and the almond milk as needed, and blend until completely combined.
- Now if you want to, you can stir through some extra pistachios for texture
- Otherwise, split the ice-cream between two glasses and pop them in the freezer to firm up for a moment.
- I like mine as soft serve so I didn’t freeze mine for more than about 15 mins, you might want yours firmer, so perhaps try about 30 mins.