One thing I am slowly learning as I conquer the world of weeknight mains, is that you don’t need a lot of effort or a lot of fancy/expensive ingredients to make a lovely weeknight meal. This prosciutto wrapped chicken, with mash and salad, is a perfect example of that. All you need are a few ingredients, a little bit of time in the oven, and voila!
This recipe comes to me courtesy of Pete, who has since cooked this for me again. It’s a very simple recipe, perfect for two, and is also a perfect excuse to have one of my guilty pleasures in life. Mash potato, with extra mash potato! But I also thought it would be nice to start adding up a few main recipes when I have the time, as I have been attempting to make more decent lunches for work these days, and have even acquired – can you believe it, another cookbook for that purpose.
So happy eating!
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
Serves: 2, Prep: 10mins, Cook: 30mins
If you are cooking for more or less people, prepare additional chicken/sage/prosciutto combo per additional serve. Only make additional oil mix when using more than one baking dish.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 4 strips of prosciutto (enough to wrap two chicken breasts)
- Sage powder (or dried sage)
- Cracked pepper
- ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- Toothpicks (to pin the prosciutto)
- 1 ceramic baking dish
- Oven pre-heated to around 200(Celsius)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C
- Take one chicken breast and lightly powder with sage.
- Wrap 2 prosciutto strips (or enough to wrap the chicken breast) around the breast, pinning it at intervals with the toothpicks so the prosciutto is fixed in place.
- Repeat for second/additional breasts.
- Oil your ceramic baking dish with a little oil and place the prepared breast(s) in the centre.
- Mix the ¼ cup of oil with the ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar and drizzle the contents over the top of your chicken in the ceramic baking dish.
- Grind pepper over your chicken.
- Place in preheated oven at 200 C for 30 mins.
- When finished, remove chicken from oven and let sit for 10mins
- Serve with salad and mash, or your favourite sides.