All right I admit it. I purchased another cookbook! I seem to have this terrible habit of deciding not to get more cookbooks, and then I keep stumbling across some and getting them anyway! The cookbook in particular I am referring to in this post is one for which I have no one else to blame! It’s called Gluten-Free Dessert Bible, and is absolutely great in terms of the photos and the sheer range of recipes.
It has a wide variety of cakes, sweets, cupcakes and cookies and more! But even better it uses no difficult to find flours, and seems to stick to either gluten-free plain flour or gluten-free self-raising flour. Fantastic. Not all the recipes have photos, but I do like that the recipes are generally very easy to read and use both volume and weight measurements! I tend to prefer weighing ingredients these days because it seems to produce better results, so seeing this was a delight!
This particular recipe is extremely quick and easy, and showed me the virtue of having at last picked up two same-sized cupcake tins. I had a blast making these, and although I did double the amount of glaze I found these cupcakes an absolute delight. One thing I will mention is that it would be better to use lighter fillings with this one. Baking with jam has taught me that heavier, thicker jams have a tendency to sink straight to the bottom of your baked goods. But lighter jams tend to stay put. So just a tip! Also, I loved using the new cupcake tins and I loved using this neat little cookbook! So I hope everyone has a wonderful FF and a wonderful weekend!
Adapted from the Gluten Free Dessert Bible’s
Makes: 12, Prep: 25 – 30 mins, Cook: 20 mins
- 2 1/3 cup/350g gluten-free plain flour
- 4.5 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 cup/170g caster sugar
- 1 cup milk, at room temp.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam, the lighter the jam the better in my opinion
- 1.5 cups dessicated coconut, for decorating
- 1.5 cup/240g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp/40g cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp/80ml boiling water
- 6 tsp/30g unsalted butter, softened
- Pre-heat your oven to 190C (170C fan-forced). Line a 12-hole cupcake tin with patty pans.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla and butter. Then pour this wet mix into the dry mix and combine thoroughly.
- Half fill each patty pan with the mix, then spoon a generous teaspoon of the jam into their centres. Then top each with the remaining batter and bake for up to 20 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the glaze, sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl and then beat in the butter and water until well combined.
- Either dip the cooled cupcakes into the glaze to coat their tops, or gently spread the glaze on their tops. Then dip them into the dessicated coconut and return to the wire rack to allow the icing to set.
- *NOTE: These are best when eaten on the same day as making and glazing.