So for this week’s fiesta friday I thought I would bring a long a slightly more decadent treat. As you can no doubt tell, I’m in a slice mood. I tend to have trends with baking, and at the moment it’s slices and such. But I don’t mind, as this means I’m getting more use out of the old slice pans I have sitting around in the cupboard, and it means I got to test out this allergy friendly brownies recipe! What a lot of people don’t realise is that dark chocolate, unlike milk or white, when it hits a certain percentage, really doesn’t tend to contain lactose or milk. This isn’t true for all brands, of course, as some do get contaminated through being processed with contaminated equipment, etc. But I tend to find that after a little bit of looking I can find dark chocolate without milk or lactose added to it, and I’ve noticed that in health food stores and in health food aisles in the bigger supermarkets, the range of available chocolates that are gluten and dairy free are increasing.
My interest in instagram is also increasing, I have to admit. A new friend from work, Miss S, introduced me to instagram the other morning. It’s quite interesting! I’ve found a lot of drool worthy photos of food to look at, and I’ve had a positive response to the photos I’ve put up as well!
These brownies are also very wonderful and a cinch to put together. I was really surprised at how little time it took me to get the batter ready and then to pop them in the oven. But I cheated with melting the chocolate and popped it into the microwave instead of setting it up over a saucepan of boiling water. Number one, this meant the bowls I used could go in the dishwasher, ha-ha! And number two, it meant that it took far less time for me to have the chocolate melted and ready to go. The smell of these brownies baking was superb, but I was even more delighted at their taste. They were sweet, but not too sweet, and their chocolate flavour wasn’t at all as overwhelming as it can be in some brownies. I loved their fudge-y texture, and I hope all of you do too!
Adapted from Rock My Style’s
Serves: up to 16, Prep: 20 mins, Cook: 30-45 mins (depending on oven), Cool: 1 hr
- 125g dark chocolate broken in to pieces (ensure it’s dairy-free)
- 225g soft dark brown sugar
- 125ml sunflower oil/vegetable oil
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 75g ground almonds
- 25g rice flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- 75g chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease and line an 8 inch square tin, or line a slice pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the almond meal, rice flour, salt, baking powder and chopped pecans. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and heat over a saucepan of gently simmering water, or heat in the microwave, until just melted and all the lumps are gone.
- Add the chocolate to the sugar and oil mix, and stir to combine.
- Add the flour and pecan mix to this and fold to combine.
- Tip the batter into the tin and bake for about 30-45 minutes, depending on your oven, until the middle still wobbles gently when you shake the tin. Remember this mix contains chocolate, it’s not going to set like a regular cake or slice.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for at least an hour before removing and cutting in to 12-16 squares.
- Serve just as is or with a dollop of ice cream and raspberries as a yummy dessert.