From sweet, to savoury! This was one of the last savoury things I made at our old house, which I’m really starting to miss even though we only lived there for about a year. These little egg muffins were a delicious treat, and made a good snack for both me and my brother, who was visiting us at the time. Furthermore it was good to use this recipe to get rid of some old things that had been sitting around in our fridge for far too long. I used up some old sun-dried tomatoes, leftover pepperoni and a little less cheese than the recipe recommend. But really, you could use anything. This recipe was simple to alter to suit my tastes, and that’s what I want when it comes to healthy snacks: simplicity.
Now, that’s not to say that I don’t like putting in as much effort to make mains or savoury foods as I do with sweets or desserts. I like challenging recipes or both sweet and savoury foods, because the rewards for making them are so great, and in the end I always have so much fun making them. But what I dislike are recipes that have been over-complicated for the sake of appearances, and not because the creator really has the gusto and skill to give a more complex recipe a whirl. I prefer simple recipes which tell me something about their creator, to complicated ones which tell me nothing. And that is why I like food blogs so much. There are so many delicious recipes to be found, and I get to know the people behind them through reading their stories.
Eggs Muffins with Bell Peppers and Salami
Makes: 14, Prep: 15 mins, Cook: 25-30 mins
- 3/4 cup diced pepperoni (gluten-free)
- A few slivers of sun-dried tomato, diced
- A generous sprinkling of dried mixed herbs
- Up to 2/3 cup finely grated cheese (I used pizza plus)
- 10 eggs, beaten well
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C, and line two cupcake trays with patty pans (or use silicon ones).
- Beat the eggs, then stir in the other ingredients.
- Pour the mixture out onto the cups, filling about 3/4 of each with the mixture.
- Bake these muffins for 25-30 mins, or until they’re golden brown on top.