I know, it’s been far too long since I’ve last done a dairy-free, gluten-free ice-cream recipe. I’ve been pretty naughty on that score. But I’m back in business with an ice-cream recipe made at the request of a new friend, Miss C. Miss C. shares much of the same allergy troubles as me, except for the fact that my reactions are less severe, and she is also allergic to refined sugars. She’s limited to things like coconut palm sugars, honey, maple syrup – etc. I’m still reeling over the fact that I even have a friend with allergies like me, especially one with such a great sense of humour. So here’s hoping that miss C. and I can become good friends, because we get along so well, and it’s nice to be able to talk about food and this and that with someone who’s experienced what I have.
The reason that miss C. requested some dairy-free, gluten-free, refined sugar free ice-cream is because Christmas is coming up, and she’s getting me a present I’m really looking forward to! So naturally I wanted to give her something she would really like as well, and she suggested making some ice-cream that would be kind to her allergies. I asked what flavours she liked, and she said flavours like raspberry and strawberry. But after having tried another person’s recipe, and only getting semi-decent results, I decided to make my own from scratch. I threw in two punnets of strawberries, added coconut cream to ensure I could get that creamy texture, and then added honey for sweetness and a generous teaspoon full of vanilla bean paste, and lastly, a squeeze of lime juice. The vanilla was a given. I love adding vanilla to things. But the adding of lime juice came about simply because I felt the flavour needed a little tang to counter-balance the sweetness of the strawberries and honey, and I didn’t see lemon as being a good choice. Also, we were out of lemon juice.
But you might be wondering why I’m giving Miss C. her christmas present early. Well, for one thing – we’re moving house! It’s happening! It’s finally happening! The new house is almost finished being set up, the kitchen is being filled out with appliances, and soon I’ll be baking our christmas lunch/dinner in an all new oven! But as a result, packing and similar hectic happenings have now taken over the house, leaving no room or time for presents closer to christmas. Except, perhaps, for some chocolate treats I’ll be posting up soon.
Makes: About a quart, Prep: 10 mins, Chill: Several hours
- at least 500g of strawberries, washed and hulled
- 1 can full fat coconut cream
- A dash of lime juice (optional)
- 3 tbsp honey/maple syrup (less or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste/2 tsp vanilla extract/essence
- Puree the strawberries until no lumps remain, then combine them with the other ingredients and whisk together.
- Process the ice-cream mixture according to the instructions of your ice-cream maker.
- Either eat now, or pop the mixture into the freezer to firm up a bit more.
- NOTE: I put homemade ice-cream in air-tight rectangular containers, and then cover their surfaces with cling-wrap in order to help prevent ice-crystals from forming on the top of the ice-cream.