Mince has many delicious uses, and meatballs are one of them. But I’m not such a fan of the usual meatball recipes. If only because I’ve had a lot of unpleasant meatballs with the moisture cooked out of them. But this recipe turned out to be both straightforward and delicious! Although I learned the hard way not to make the meatballs too big or else you could end up cooking them for a long time to get them cooked through. But that was no trouble.
Another version of this recipe, which we’ve cooked before, is to not turn the meat into meatballs but simply to put it through with the sesame seeds and the vegetables and stir-fry the whole lot together. This is a good alternative if you’re short on time. Otherwise I do recommend trying the meatballs, because this recipe is delicious! And better still, it can either be made gluten-free for people with allergies, or left as is for those that don’t haven them. That makes it a winner, as far as I’m concerned.
Chinese Meatballs with Hoisin Noodles
Serves: 4, Prep: 20 mins, Cook: Depends on the sizes of the meatballs
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce (g/f)
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce (g/f)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2cm fresh ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 500g beef mince
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs/gluten-free cornflake crumbs
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 450g packet hokkien noodles/rice noodles
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red capsicum, chopped
- 1 bunch baby bok choy, roughly chopped
- (Or use preferred vegetables)
- Combine sauces, garlic and ginger in a small bowl. Combine mince, egg, breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of the sauce mixture in a bowl. Place sesame seeds on a plate. Using clean hands, shape level tablespoons of mince mixture into meatballs (size changes how long it takes the meatballs to cook). Roll meatballs in sesame seeds.
- Prepare noodles according to packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook meatballs, turning, until cooked through. Transfer meatballs to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add remaining oil. Swirl to coat. Stir-fry capsicum for 1 minute. Add bok choy. Stir-fry for 1 minute. Add noodles, remaining sauce mixture and 2 tablespoons cold water. Stir-fry for 2 minutes or until heated through. Add meatballs. Toss to combine. Serve.