I originally intended to make a gluten-free, dairy-free apple pie for dessert this friday – as friday is the day I make a dessert to take to a dinner at a friend’s house. But time constraints and the need to experiment with different pie doughs meant that I had to think of something more simple. I normally would cook something chocolate based for this family, but upon learning that one of the sons prefers apple-based desserts I thought to try something apple-y, hence the original idea of apple pie. But after doing some puzzling I realised that making an apple crumble both gluten and dairy free couldn’t be easier. It involves a filling with no dairy, and the topping can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free plain flour (wheat, yeast, etc free), desiccated coconut and coconut oil. It really is a straightforward dish, but I accidentally made too much topping and had to make extra little crumbles to use it up. So I have tried to fix that. It ended up working brilliantly. And as the crumble topping is abased on coconut I expect it would match coconut cream or similar coconut-based ice-creams very well. I would recommend serving it hot, and cooking it just before you want to serve it. Crumble can become overly moist if you cook it early, as the filling will soak into the underside of the crumble topping. But if that doesn’t bother you then don’t worry about it. I recommend serving it hot simply because I prefer the flavour of hot apple filling with mixed spices and warm crumble topping, but if it turns out to be just as good for you cold then all the better!
Apple Crumble (g/f, d/f)
Serves: 6-8, Prep: 25-30 mins, Cook: 20 mins
- 1.2kg pie apple (the tinned type)
- 1.5 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 1/4 cups desiccated coconut
- 3/4 cup gluten-free plain flour
- up to 5 tbsp coconut oil, melted (try it a tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you like)
- 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, sifted if possible
- Pre-heat your oven to 160°C (fan-forced), and grease a rectangular baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place the pie apple in a bowl, and combine with the mixed spice, lemon juice and sugar. Don’t worry if the apple gets a little mashed up, just stir it all through.
- Pour the apple filling into the base of the dish and smooth out.
- Mix together the crumble ingredients and then spoon over the filling. Smooth using the back of the spoon, being sure to fill all the edges and corners.
- Bake in the oven for up to twenty minutes, or until the crumble topping is browned all over (but not burnt!)
- Serve hot, with coconut cream or dairy-free ice-cream.
Approx. 216 calories and 31.6g of cabs per serving