It was a somewhat rough start to the day because of the much dreaded tutorial wars for one of my courses. It doesn’t matter how quick you think you are to refresh the page and select the group you want to be in because everybody else in the course is doing the same thing. But luckily a drop out from the tutorial I wanted meant I could snap up a spot. I decided that after this and a bit of study I would cook something to take to the family treating me for dinner. I was especially excited to do this because my mother told me our oven had been repaired in the few short hours I was away from the house yesterday. Apparently you don’t replace the thermostat in old ovens like ours, you recalibrate it a few times over the years to keep it in top condition. This is because over time the temperature on the thermostat will get lower and lower and you’ll need to crank the oven higher and higher to get to the right setting.
But the important thing is that it is well and truly fixed now, and that is cooks like it used to – only better. But as my blog is still remaining a gluten-free, sugar-free and lactose free type affair I was determined to introduce this family to a treat that matched all that criteria. I chose cupcakes – coconut flour based chocolate cupcakes to be exact. Unfortunately I didn’t have enough coconut oil to replace the butter in the recipe, so it’s not entirely lactose free. I did however get to use coconut flour and lactose free milk and I gobbled up the tester like nobody’s business. So who do I have to thank for this amazing recipe – this culinary delight? Sarah Shilhavy from this recipe website that’s who! She also has a neat video recipe so check that out!
Coconut Flour Chocolate Cake/Cupcakes
Makes: 52, Prep: 10-15 mins, Cook: 22 mins
- 1 cup butter – softened
- 1 2/3 cups sugar (I replaced it with Natvia)
- 10 eggs (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups coconut flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk or half n’ half (I used lactose free milk)
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C and prepare cupcake trays with patty pans.
- Using an electric mixer combine butter and sugar, and beat together for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs in one at a time and beat high-speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the vanilla while beating the eggs and butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients together and add alternately with the milk to the butter mixture.
- Beat batter for about five minutes on high-speed.
- Spoon batter into prepared patty pans and bake for 22 mins or until a skewer inserted into their centres comes out clean.
*Note: Coconut flour is not like regular flour, it has a different texture and can be very dry. If your batter is dry, then add extra splashes of milk like I did. Also don’t be tempted to keep cooking them if their tops are moist because that’s how they will always be until they’re overcooked, use the skewer method.