Sadly, my bakewares have been locked away in the shed while we’re under frequent attack from house inspections and open houses. So I am turning to alternative methods to get my bake on – including mug cakes. Naturally I am also on the hunt for healthier, for example low-carb, recipes, or simply low-sugar/no-sugar and gluten-free type recipes. And in my despairing search stumbled across an amazing recipe from one amazing blogger – which can be found here. Carolyn of All Day I Dream About Food is one amazing blogger who caters to the low carb and gluten free audiences like nobody’s business. And not only are her recipes simply amazing and delicious, but her photography and presentation are top notch. I seriously urge you all to visit her blog! I have serious respect for a chef that can consistently create not only delicious and healthy mains but also wondrous desserts that don’t at all lack flavour.
Hazelnut and Chocolate Mug Cake
Serves: 2, Prep: 5 mins, Cook: 2 min
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted (and skinned, if you want) – I used hazelnut meal
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp granulated erythritol I used Natvia
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp hazelnut oil (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp hazelnut or vanilla extract
- Grind hazelnuts in food processor until they resemble coarse meal. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Whisk in cocoa powder, erythritol, baking powder and salt.
- Stir in cream, oil, egg and hazelnut extract until batter is well-combined.
- Divide between 2 mugs and microwave each for about 1 minute. Remove and let cool a minute or two, then dig in!