It’s a cake without too many ingredients, but it does have a lot of steps that require you to sit around and wait while the oranges boil, while the rind boils – but it’s worth it and none of these steps are actually in any way difficult, only time consuming. And because of this I really do suggest leaving plenty of time for getting it prepared and baked, as well as cooled and covered in the syrup. It’s not like some other cakes I’ve cooked which only require you to throw everything in, so it also causes a lot of washing up and to save yourself I really advise you to wash each piece between steps as you have the time and it will stop a mound from building up. I had fun making it, but it really did make me long for sharper knives and/or a better zester, as well as better stove tops. And here is where I got the recipe.
Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
Serves: 8-10, Prep: up to 45 mins, Cook: 1hr
- Melted butter, to grease
- 2 oranges
- 3 eggs
- 215g (1 cup) caster sugar
- 300g (3 cups) almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 orange
- 155g (3/4 cup) caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Brush a round 22cm (base measurement) springform pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line base with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the oranges in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for 15 minutes (this will reduce the bitterness of the peel). Refresh under cold water. Drain. Coarsely chop oranges. Remove and discard any seeds.
- Place the orange in the bowl of a food processor and process until smooth.
- Use an electric beater to whisk the eggs and sugar in a bowl until thick and pale. Add the orange, almond meal and baking powder and gently fold until just combined. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool.
- Meanwhile, to make the orange syrup, use a zester to remove the rind from the orange. (Alternatively, use a vegetable peeler to peel the rind from orange. Use a small sharp knife to remove white pith. Cut rind into thin strips.) Juice orange.
- Place rind in a saucepan of boiling water and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Drain. Return to pan with orange juice and sugar. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar dissolves and the syrup thickens.
- Turn cake onto a serving plate. Use a skewer to gently prick the top. Spoon over syrup. Cut into wedges to serve.