Often when I mention protein powder to my friends they turn their noses up at the thought of it. And it’s true that many people I know who’ve tried protein powder have found the texture unpleasant and the flavour too intense. But for someone like me who often craves a quick breakfast before the gym or before Uni, this protein powder smoothie is quick and delicious.
It came to me one day, when I was starting to get bored with the same old flavours and shakes, that what I could do was vary the recipe a little and make it even more filling at the same time. So I do recommend that if you get bored with the same old flavour as quickly as I do that you get the tubs of protein powder that make fifteen or so shakes rather than thirty, and that you get two or three and vary the flavours every now and again, or use it up in smoothies.
Banana Breakfast Smoothie
Serves: 1, Prep: 5 mins
- 1 banana, overly ripe works best (switch fruits for different flavours)
- 1 small tub of low-sugar/no-sugar added fruit yoghurt (optional)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (e.g. strawberry, vanilla or even chocolate will work)
- 1 1/2 glasses of milk (I use lactose free milk, and that works as well as regular milk)
- Break the banana into small chunks to allow for better blending, then put some of the milk in the bottom of the blender to prevent all the protein powder getting stuck down the bottom.
- Add the protein powder and yoghurt and then the remaining milk, blend until smooth and then drink.
If you don’t have yoghurt on you at the time then don’t stress, it’s not entirely necessary for a tasty smoothie. And if you like you can vary the flavours of the fruit depending on the flavour of the protein powder and the yoghurt. You can also vary the amount of milk you add if you want a runnier or thicker smoothie, it’s all up to you.