The paleo diet has really taken off. But for me it’s wonderful, as their recipes are – as far as I can tell, often naturally gluten and dairy-free. I wanted to make another quick and simple dessert that wasn’t going to be too bad for us, and so I browsed a few databases of low-carb and paleo recipes. I soon found one which seemed to fit the bill. But it did require some creativity on my part, given that the original recipe required both strawberries and blueberries, and strawberries weren’t available at the time.
It was a quick and easy recipe, given that I thought of doing it ahead of time, and removing the strawberries didn’t give us much trouble. It also didn’t matter that I couldn’t really puree the berries because of our failing blender, and had to mash them with a fork instead. So I wholeheartedly recommend this for people who have children who want a dessert, but who don’t want to give them something made of sugar, and also just for people who happen to like fruit jelly. Although keep in mind the time needed for setting, etc. Once mangoes are in season I think I might even try and make this recipe into a mango jelly! Yum yum!
Adapted from Louise’s Paleo Jello (With Berries)
Serves: 3, Prep: 15-20 mins, Chill: 3-4 hours
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp g/f gelatine powder
- 1 cup water
- Puree the blueberries, and pour them into three cups.
- Place the gelatine powder in a bowl and add in 1 cup of cold water. Stir well. Then place the bowl into the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute. Mix well using a fork.
- Pour the gelatine and water mix into the cups with the blueberry puree and mix well.
- Leave in the fridge to set for 3-4 hours, and then serve.